Wednesday, June 20, 2012

On Being Homesick


Listening to: Cartoons - not even good ones. Ugh.
Mood: Meh.

The other day, my elder daughter told me she was missing “home” and that she really wanted to go back to New York. We had a little chat about how we would definitely try to go and visit sometime, but Bangalore was our home now. We talked about the things she misses and more importantly, what she finds awesome about India.

It was a little unexpected for me, because both of my girls have pretty much adjusted like champs, not a peep to be heard. I honestly expected much more backlash because one of my nieces cried every day for 3 months after they moved here. While I’m glad they have been so adjusting and have had a great attitude, I’m glad some of this came out.

My family moved a lot when I was little. My dad has a perennially restless soul and never stayed one place for too long. This has pretty much been genetically passed along to me too. I married someone of the same nature. We've lived a rather nomadic life ourselves.

I felt really bad for her, because I remember all too well how difficult it was for me when my family moved. Fortunately, she’s much more outgoing and makes friends much easier than I did at her age. I was painfully shy. My eldest is a sensitive soul and doesn’t do well with meanness/sarcasm. Unfortunately, that’s something that she’s had to deal with a lot more now that we’ve moved. She misses the independence of getting in the car and going different places. As of right now, we don’t have a car.  She misses things being easy. She misses things being clean. I felt bad for her, because I have my own times when I miss living in the US. I LOVE living in India, but there are definitely some things from the US that I miss.

I talked to her about what helped me when I was younger, and we thought about some things she could try to help her think happy thoughts about the US but not miss it too much. After all, the plan is to visit eventually and we most likely will go back and live there after a while.

I’m hoping that when she gets a bit older, she’ll look back on this time and think of the good things she enjoyed, even if she does remember the harder parts. That’s what happened with me.

Becky

2 comments:

Kellie @ Delightfully Ludicrous said...

Poor thing, I can sympathise with her. I remember when my parents moved us interstate when I was twelve. I spent six months absolutely miserable, almost to the point where I think they seriously considered going back. But eventually I adjusted and now I'm SO glad they moved us here. I guess everyone adjusts in their own time.

Becky said...

The hardest move for me happened when I was 13 - we moved to Key West. It was brutal making new friends when I was so shy anyhow. We ended up moving back to IL one year later because of my parent's divorce, but that one year was hard. Looking back, it was an amazing experience and I definitely enjoyed a lot of things about living in Key West.

That's what I'm hoping my daughters discover later on about their time here. I'm pretty sure they won't get it now, which is fine, but hopefully they will make some awesome memories. What I'm glad about is that my daughter told me about it. She plays her cards pretty close to her chest, so it's good it got out there in the open.